from their web-site:
596 Acres is helping neighbours form connections to the vacant public lost in their lives.
Hundreds of Acres of public land exist in New York City, hidden in plain site behind chain-link fences in neighbourhoods where green space and other public amenities are scarce. We are building the tools for communities to get teh keys legally and unlock all these rusty gates - and the oportunities within them. These include;
(1) making municipal information available through an online interactive map;
(2) placing signs on vacant public land that explain each lots status and steps that the community can take in order to be able to use this land;
(3) visioning sessions for education about public land holdings by invitation from community groups;
(4) engaging the community when an interested potential leader reaches out; and
(5) direct advocacy with New York City Agencies